tinyFLIGHT.com

Minium Forums
Kyosho Minium, Minium Parts
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Default Upgrading the Eflite MCX

Hello there. I just received two aluminum upgrades for my Eflite MCX helicopter. The upgrades are the swash-plate, and lower rotor head. These parts were not designed to make the helicopter fly better, but to replace the known week parts of the helicopter. Parts that are common to brake off are the little ball joints that connect the servo arms to the swash-plate. Same goes for the lower rotor head as well.

First step is to remove the lower blades, disconnect the arms, disconnect the arms to the swash-plate, and remove the two screws that hold the gears onto the shaft. Once everything is properly removed, the shaft will slide out and you can begin.

Aluminum replacements.

Shaft removed and parts replaced.

Arms from swash-plate to rotor heads.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Now just go in reverse order with the new alloy in place and you'll be good to go!

If everything is correct, your helicopter should look like this.

Maybe I'll post a video of this thing flying if anybody is interested. These upgrades are very nice, flies very well, and look's great! Plus, it'll save you the head-ache of braking these delicate items! Now if we could just get carbon-fiber blades for this thing, that would really be cool!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 PM

Hello..................is this thing on? Anybody home?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Looking good M, let's see that vid!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Thank's, I'll have to wait till I get some fresh batteries. Seems ours is running out of life. That and/or the motors are wearing out as it's flight times are getting less and less on a full-charge.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Just learned that Micro-Heli has now developed the upper rotor head piece for this helicopter. I am sure to get that soon as well. Just uploaded a video of this thing flying. While it's very easy to fly for sure, it's difficult to keep it in the camera's view. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPU4FaTwA0
Old 09-12-2009, 05:02 PM

does the weight of the aluminum change the weight balance?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Hi there arch! No it does not appear to effect it at all. In fact, the weight difference between the aluminum and the plastic counterparts are pretty much the same. Although I honestly never weighed either, but the description from Micro-Heli mentioned same weight. Only two advantages really is stronger than plastic, and give's it some bling.
I am possibly going to get a blue swash-plate for my Dad's new MSR helicopter which is a step up from the MCX. I've posted a thread for the MSR as well. Look's like they share the same swash-plate, but a lot of differences between the two. If I do get the blue aluminum swash-plate, I'll be sure to weight them. I notice no change in flying characteristics.